New Pros: Sweatpants to Suits

This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend Ohio Northern PRSSA’s PaRtner’s Conference and Social Media Workshop. It was a truly great experience. I was able to hear from various speakers on various different topics. I decided to share with you some points from one of my favorite sessions, “New Pros: From Sweatpants to Pros.” This session consisted of four ONU alumni that just graduated last year. They provided the attendees with various tips and tricks when it comes to college and life after graduation. Here are a few of the key points that I took away from their discussion.

Make sure your experience is on your resume.
You don’t have to put every experience on your resume but it is important to highlight the ones that truly helped you to develop as an individual in your area of study. Be sure to be able to them elaborate more on those experiences when in the interview. If you can’t then it most likely wasn’t an experience worth putting on your resume.

Network, Network, NETWORK
I know you have heard this many time before, but it really is the truth and reality when trying to make it in the professional world. You never know who may help you to land that “dream job” and help you to get your foot in the door to even get an interview.

Interview them.
There is nothing wrong with asking the interviewer questions, it is encouraged. Be confident and challenge them. People love to talk about themselves and their company. Be smart and do your research on them and their company as well.

Have staple questions.
Do you struggle with having questions ready? Well, here are a few the young professionals recommended asking:
-What is a typical day like at your company/organization?
-Do you have any concerns about my qualifications?
Having questions ready will help you to feel more prepared and really impress your interviewer.

Finally, send a handwritten “Thank You” note!
This so is very important. By sending a thank you you’re showing the company that you appreciated their time and consideration. It also allows for one final impression or mark to leave them with. Write in your best handwriting and be as personal as possible.


I hope these tips helped you as much as they are going to help me. I feel much more prepared and ready to tackle those interviews. Did you enjoy any of these tips specifically or do you have any tips of your own? Be sure to comment and share them below! Best of luck!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these tips! I was unable to go to the workshop due to work. I think these points are so very important and I plan on using them to prepare me for future interviews. The point that stands out to me is the one about interviewing the interviewer. I feel that when you are going into an interview it is important to have questions ready and to actually have questions. The interviewer will find it impressive if you can ask them questions about the company, showing you are invested and care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips, Ashley! I wasn't able to go to the workshop either. I appreciate a recap on what I missed. Sending a hand written thank you note is so smart. Such a simple skill means the world to individuals. Sending a card really makes a difference. Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End is Near

Spring Has Sprung!

Vera Bradley Annual Outlet Sale