Why ONU?

Like many of my peers and classmates, when I decided to attend Ohio Northern University I was faced with one common question, “Why ONU?” To me that answer seemed so simple. I constantly wanted to answer back with the question, “Why not ONU?” However, over time I realized that those who were asking didn’t understand what it meant to attend a small, private school. There are a vast amount of reasons to attend a small school. These are my top five reason why I chose ONU!

1.     Small Class Sizes
Being able to be in a class of approximately 30 people was very important to me. Coming from a small high school, I have always enjoyed having a connection with each of my classmates and knowing them by name. One advantage in my opinion is that by having small classes my professors know whether I am in class or not, therefore, I am held accountable and expected to be in class. In the classroom at ONU there are also many opportunities to participate and ask questions.

2.     Opportunity, Opportunity, Opportunity
I cannot stress enough the amount of opportunities I have had as freshman here at Ohio Northern. From the moment, I stepped on campus I not only was encouraged to participate in academic organizations, but also non-academic. I currently am involved in the Dicke College of Business’s Dean’s Advisory Council. Through this group I can help be the voice and figure for the college. I am also highly involved in ONU Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Through this organization I have been able to travel to Indianapolis, Indiana and attended the National Conference. I also have a position on the ONU chapter’s executive board managing their social media accounts. If I hadn’t gone to a small school, I never would have been able to have their opportunities as a first-year student. I can’t wait to see how many more doors will be opened during my time here at Ohio Northern.

3.     Friendships
By going to a smaller school, I am constantly seeing and interacting with the same people. This is great for me, because I have made so many personal connections and friends. Knowing that no matter what class I am in, I will always have someone there to support me is very important. Someone once told me, “You will learn that your college friends will become kind of like your family, you eat together, you take naps together, you fight, you laugh, you cry, and do absolutely nothing together until you can’t remember how you ever lived your life without them in the first place.” To me, this is the definition of friendship in college. I wouldn’t trade the bonds and friendships that I have made here at ONU for the world. I know that the friendships I am creating now, will last a lifetime.

4.     Professors/Staff
The amount of time and effort each professor and staff member at Ohio Northern invests into each student is impeccable. One aspect that sticks out the most to me is that each professor that I have encountered as taken the time to get to know me. When I say, they got to “know me” I don’t mean they simply just know my name, but they know a little about me and my story. I have established a great connection with each of my professors. Each time I have had a question, or comment, I have always been given the time to be heard. Not many students from large universities can say that.

5.     Close to Home
I know I have shared this previously, but it is still a strong reason as to why I chose ONU. Being close to home was very important to me when deciding where to go to school. I am very close with my family, and wanted to be close enough that I could travel home at any moment. ONU is my home away from home, and I couldn’t be more grateful.

To my fellow polar bears, why ONU? To those of you don’t attend ONU, why did you choose the school that you did? I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

Comments

  1. I completely agree! I came from a small high school also, so going to a small college just seemed right. The professors are here for you, and I love that I can feel comfortable going to office hours to ask questions. My boyfriend goes to a big college and he feels like he can't talk to his professors outside of class and they don't know his name or care about him as an individual. I chose ONU because this school has so much to offer, from scholarships to opportunities. I feel confident that once I leave this school, I will have everything I need to be successful for the rest of my life. It's also nice to know that everyone keeps in touch, and I can always come back if I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to a smaller school was so important to me. When trying to decide on a college I visited a larger school, went on a campus tour, and had no idea where I was. At that moment I knew I wanted to be at a smaller school, where I could at least find my way around campus. When I first stepped onto ONU's campus I just knew it was home. Having small classes, I think is one of the best parts about Ohio Northern. I spend the majority of my time in Wilson were most of my classes have 10 students or less. It is great knowing that you can have such a tight knit relationship with classmates and even professors. I like having the feeling that my professor cares whether I am in class or not. This builds a strong and trustworthy relationship between student and professor. Knowing that your professors care what you do and will be there for you even after graduation is an amazing feeling. They want you to succeed. These are just some of the reasons why I chose ONU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with all of your reasons! When choosing a university I didn't want the chance to get lost on a campus and I especially did not want to walk extremely long distance to classes. I'm a total city girl at heart and being out in the middle of nowhere is difficult at times, but just like you I'm close to home, which is probably my favorite part of ONU. I go home at least once a week (rarely to see my parents, just to get out of the cornfields of Ada) I'm positive I wouldn't of been happy at a large university where the classes had 100 people and the professors had no idea who I am. Volleyball really swayed my decision to attend ONU, but I'd like to think I would have still chosen ONU if I didn't play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End is Near

Spring Has Sprung!

Vera Bradley Annual Outlet Sale