2019 PRSSA International Conference

This past weekend I traveled to San Diego, California for the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) International Conference. Let me tell you, IT WAS AMAZING! I am going to give you a play-by-play on what we did each day.


Thursday, October 17

We traveled to San Diego, California. We flew out of John Glenn International Airport in Columbus, Ohio at 6:00 a.m. Yes, we woke up and traveled from Ohio Northern University at 3:00 a.m. Yes, we were very tired.

Once we arrived in San Diego, California we went to La Jolla by the Sea, a coastline known for beautiful views. La Jolla was amazing and definitely had some of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Here we explored, listened to sea lions bark and took in the amazing scenery with a drink at a local restaurant, Brockton Villa.

For dinner we headed back to downtown San Diego, California to meet up with Dr. Aggie and Central Ohio Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) member, Kaitie Thomas.


Friday, October 18

On Friday, we all slept in and worked on school work before we had to attend the conference in the afternoon. In California fashion, I completed mine while sitting poolside.

Later, we attended the first few sessions of conference. I won’t bore you with all of the details, but I gained a lot of knowledge from the chapter president’s session and the keynote speaker from Edelman.

We closed out the night by having a dance party with all of the PRSSA chapters in attendance.


Saturday, October 19
Saturday morning we started off by shouting, “Baby in a Highchair. Who put him there? Ma? Pa? Sis cum ba. PR PR RAH RAH RAH!” at chapter roll call. Here we also received our Star Chapter distinction.

We spent the rest of the day learning at various sessions. As chapter president, I also got to attend a leadership recognition lunch. This was a lot of fun. I sat with Ohio State’s president and talked with Grand Valley State and Cincinnati as well.

For dinner, the chapter went to a really cute italian restaurant, Sorrento. We had a lot of fun and Dr. Aggie even joined us later.


Sunday, October 20


Sunday we all woke up very early and attended the PRSSA Breakfast of Champions. Here, PRSA members join students for breakfast and engaged in conversation. I sat with Michelle Olson, PRSA president-elect. We had a great conversation about post-graduation life and where I see myself working.

My favorite session, “The GenZ Era: Learning the Intricacies of Social Media with Erika Prime” focused on Taco Bell’s social media strategies. The session was so fun and very engaging. We even ended the session with question and answer, but first you had to say your order at Taco Bell.

We ended the night by going to dinner with Dr. Iseman and his wife, Sue and alumna, Tegan Peterson. Here we enjoyed time talking and ended on the patio around a fire. It was so great to catch up and talk.


Monday, October 21


Monday was our last and final day of conference! We went to a few sessions and also enjoyed our last day in San Diego before heading home. We ate breakfast at a cute little place called, Breakfast Republic. Here, I think I had the best mimos ever!

We then spent time by the pool relaxing and doing homework we neglected while in California.

Then the main event, the PRSSA Awards Ceremony and Dinner. In case you haven't heard, WE WON A TEAHAN FOR CHAPTER DEVELOPMENT! I was so proud of our members on this accomplishment and everyone’s hard work to make it happen.

After the awards ceremony we headed to the airport for our red-eye flight back to Ohio.



Overall, the conference was a lot of fun, but I am glad to be back in Ada, Ohio to finish out my second to last semester at Ohio Northern. I am sad that I will no longer be attended PRSSA International Conference as a student, but can’t wait to see what PRSA has in store.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End is Near

Spring Has Sprung!

Perks of Being a College Student